Interview with Jason Katwijk
At the JLC Live Northwest Show I got the fantastic opportunity to interview Jason Katwijk of Deck Builders: Artistry in Decks. Jason is one of the best examples of what is possible when the right direction and perspective is chosen in pursuit of a career. Here is some of what we cover in our talk.
- Next generation, Father, Kim brought him in to pass the torch
- Jason started in automotive, didn’t like it
- At the end of a project you have something you built with your own hands and that’s really rewarding
- Owning your own business provides freedom, along with a lot of responsibility
- As an owner, you get to decide how much you make and how much you don’t
- Lots of friends wit the college route
- The trades are dying because of the push for education
- What does he advise someone about to go to college?
- Education is important, but how you get that education counts, experiential is better
- A note to parents: Jason describes the “countdown to retirement” mindset and how so many hate their life, his dad doesn’t hate his life!
- If the kids don’t like the academics, don’t be afraid to “test the waters”.
- Builders keep everything running, without them society would stop
- Vision for the future: the opportunity is there and waiting
- Personally wants to stay small to keep a high quality of work and production
- Small business with quality work!
What do I like about building? Well, you start with a blank sheet and at the end you have a masterpiece. – Jason Katwijk
You can find Jason and his work at their website by clicking right here.
I would like to stay in touch with you. I regularly send out helpful business and marketing strategies and ideas to help you make a great plan to better your business. Know this. I will never share your email or info with anyone else.